Click Here to Jump to Star Rating & Overview
(Note: As an Amazon Associate I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases when you purchase through my link. Thank you!)
Are you still using one time use water and drink bottles? Stop it! No seriously, stop it now. Other than offering convenience, plastic bottles are bad news. If you don’t already know why, check out these two articles on why they are bad for the environment and our health.
Alternatives to Plastic Bottles
So now that you’ve committed to stop using single use plastic bottles, now what? The good news is that it’s easy to find good, if not great, alternatives to plastic bottles including glass and stainless steel. Stainless is my material of choice and Bubba Brands bottles are my favorite. So much so, that I can promise this review is pretty much all biased towards how great these bottles are!
Why Use Bubba Brand Bottles Vs. Other Options?
The biggest reason I prefer Bubba Brands is because they offer a variety of sizes in awesome double-wall vacuum insulated stainless steel. I have tried a lot of different brands including inexpensive ones like these Together Bottles*, but they sweat a lot and don’t keep drinks cold for very long. I have also tried D’Eco Tumblers and although D’Eco are insulated (sweat less and keep drinks cold longer), they just don’t fit my hand well and are only 16 oz, so I find my self refilling them a lot which is inconvenient for on the go.
*(FYI: I still recommend the Together Bottles as a good starter option if you need to watch your budget or for kids, if you’re worried they might get lost.)
Bubba Brand Color and Size Options
They offer tons of color and size options. Well not literally, but a lot! They offer 32 options of stainless steel mugs and tumblers in a variety of color combinations and styles in sizes ranging from 12oz to 26oz. Since I live in a house full of color-terrified males, we only buy the stainless steel color and black, but the some of the other colors are very fun and include bright pinks, teals, blues and purples.
About Bubba Brands
Bubba Brands is located in Chicago, IL, but their products are sold all over the world as part of a larger family of products under Newell Brands. Even if you don’t recognize the Newell name, you definitely know many of their brands including big everyday names like Crockpot, Mr. Coffee, Coleman, Rubbermaid, Sharpie, Graco, Eco and so many more. If you’d like to know more about Newell Brands, you can check them out here. The info about Bubba Brands specifically is a bit limited, but you can see their page and learn more about their product guarantee here.
What I like about Bubba Stainless Steel Reusable Bottles
- They keep cold beverages cold for hours with their dual-wall vacuum insulated 18/8 stainless steel.
(Bubba Brands claims 18-24 hours. From experience, I’ve had iced water stay cold all night in the house or for several hours in a hot car.)
- They keep hot beverages hot for hours too. (Bubba Brands claim 6 hours.)
- They don’t sweat and they are cool to the touch, even with hot drinks.
- Tons of colors and size options available in stainless steel. (32 Options!) **Although I haven’t had a chance to try them yet, I just found that Bubba Brands is now offering several stainless and ceramic options they call “TasteGuard” if you are concerned about drinks having a metallic taste. (Like this 16oz TasteGuard travel mug.)
- With so many options, it’s not hard to find one that fits your hand or needs well.
(I like the tall, fully insulated Envy S tumblers for their size, comfort and opening for a straw, but my teenage son likes the 24 oz Hero tumblers because they are leakproof and can be thrown in his sports bag.)
- Not too expensive. At $9-20 they are definitely more than reusable plastic bottles, but well worth the price! I’ve had some of mine going on two years and they look and function like brand new.
- Lifetime warranty. I’ve never had to use it, but I’ve seen posts by other Bubba lovers who have and they have been super satisfied with the warranty. And, it’s easy to make a claim from their website or buy a replacement part.
What I don’t like about Bubba Reusable Bottles
- The bottles, or at least the stainless steel bottles, are made in China.
(Made in the USA is always my first preference, but style, function and availability are important too. Newell brands has a pretty substantial Corporate Responsibility statements covering the planet and philanthropy. You can read it here (Newell Brands Corporate Responsibility).
- When you order them online, they come in a plastic bag.
(I assume they don’t want the stainless to be scratched in shipping, but I would prefer a recyclable or compostable paper wrap instead.)
- The plastic versions. I ONLY recommend the stainless steel bottles because although they are BPA free, ALL plastic leaches to some extent. Maybe not enough to be immediately dangerous, but with 32 stainless steel options available, why take the risk? **Although I haven’t had a chance to try them yet, I just found that Bubba Brands is now offering several stainless and ceramic options they call “TasteGuard” if you are concerned about drinks having a metallic taste. (Like this 16oz TasteGuard travel mug.)
- Plastic straws. The straws are strong and reusable, but for the same reasons as above, I prefer stainless steel or glass straws. Like these: Stainless Steel Straws.
I like these stainless steel bottles a lot –so much more than any other brand of reusable bottle I’ve tried! Other than being made in China, plastic straws and being shipped in a protective plastic bag, there is little I don’t like about them. But, if you have another brand you love, please share it below with the reasons why. I would like try them too!